Johann-Heinrich Effenberg, PhD 艾方伯
by Karsten Wilke, June 2020
Basic Biographical Data
Born: September 17, 1894, Dresden (Germany); Died Feb. 24, 1982 in Fresno (Yearbook 1982), California, USA
Siblings: one sister (Dresden)
Spouse/marriage: Emmy (born Heil); born May 10, 1900 in Muenchen-Gladbach, Germany; died July 9, 1974 in Lodi, California, USA.
• Hanni-Ruth Effenberg (*Feb. 23, 1928 – † July 16, 1929 in Chongqing, China);
• Agnes H. Effenberg, November 13, 1931, in Chongqi, China.
• Jonny Effenberg, *March 27,1934 in Bremen, Germany
• Irmgard Else Effenberg, November 3, 1935, in Nanjing, China
Education: Friedensau Adventist University, University of Halle-Wittenberg, Friedrich Wilhelm University of Breslau; later in the US he gained a PhD.
Major service contributions:
- 1926-1932 Director of the East Sichuan Mission in Chongqing, China
- 1933-1934 Pioneer and Superintendent of the North-West-China Union in Lanzhou, Gansu, China
- 1935-1937 Department Secretary of the East-China Union Mission in Nanjing, Jiangsu
- 1938-1946 Department Secretary and chairman of the Central-China Union in Wuhan, Hubei
- 1947-1948 Contact person for the UNACR in Shanghai
Figure 1: J.H. Effenberg, First German SDA Missionary to China
For more information, see the article in Spes Christiana or the Encyclopedia of Seventh-day Adventists.
Seventh-day Adventist Yearbook, Takoma Park, Washington D.C.: Review and Herald. Retrieved from http://documents.adventistarchives.org/Yearbooks
Last updated June 16, 2019 by Karsten Wilke